Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Midterm Portfolio Submission



For this portfolio submission, I have chosen six pieces that are a mixture of new and old. Some are pieces that I felt showcased how my early work began and how it has since advanced! Other work, showcases different attributes of how I work in different areas. I enjoy these pieces and the personality I have put into these different pieces. I have chosen a poster for Native American History Month, a magazine spread revision to The Secret to Feeling Full, a magazine spread revision to How Safe?, and the choose your own professional photograph, where one spread was a two page advertisement, one was a magazine spread, and one was a poster advertising an event.

Native American History Month:
Thoughts: One of the first poster redesigns we were assigned. In the beginning the poster was a little difficult to redesign. Anything that has already been published is very difficult to rethink in a new way. I tried to incorporate my own style of staying simple and mixing with how Native American's view themselves as being related to the spirit of an animal. Their spirit animals help them remain strong and feel empowered. I feel like the imagery being an original illustration was very appropriate and brings life to poster.
Production Information: 2 Color, 13 X 19", No Bleed

The Secret to Feeling Full:
Thoughts: This magazine spread was one of the more difficult to redesign. I never anticipated having so much trouble laying out a spread. It started with the colors I was planning to use. After the colors came the issue of how I wanted to lay out the text. The final product then came through. I used a stock photo which was purchased, and that was the easiest portion to the whole layout.
Production Information: 4 Color, 2 Page Spread, Full Bleed, 8 X 10.5" Trim Size

How Safe?:
Thoughts: How safe was a very fun and playful spread. With this spread the copy was very sparse. As you can see we were not provided with very much text. This was the biggest hurdle to overcome. I used colors that were drawn from the salad. This spread was revamped so many times, and originally had a skull overlaid on top of the salad. The two images competed and did not provide enough breathing room. I started by removing that image. Next, I downsized the amount of black I used in the spread. It was competing too much with the green shades I had chosen to use. In the end, I felt like this was very successful in portraying what message the article was trying to convey to the reader. In the end, this was the final product.
Production Information: 4 Color, 2 Page Spread, Full Bleed, 7 X 10" Trim Size

Three Different Photograph Layouts:
Advertisement:
Thoughts: The advertisement was the easiest of all three to design. I originally wanted to do something that just screamed at the top of its lungs to purchase that product. I used the four colors to my full advantage to play with the black. I am very pleased with how this turned out. I felt like it was very professional looking, and felt like it could be printed in magazines tomorrow if need be.
Production Information: 4 Color, 2 Page Spread, Full Bleed, 8.5 X 11" Trim Size

Two Page Magazine Spread:
Thoughts: The spread proved to be a little tougher than the other two pieces to this assignment. The photograph stayed the black and white that I scanned it in as, but was reversed. I found an article on how to purchase the right suit for you from GQ magazine. It was very appropriate as the model in the photograph was wearing a suit. It seemed like something you would see in a GQ magazine, or rather it's partner magazine Details which is where the photograph was originally from! The final piece I was very pleased with.
Production Information: 4 Color, 2 Page Spread, Full Bleed, 8.5 X 11" Trim Size

Poster Design:
Thoughts: This poster spread was very easy in regards to other posters we have redesigned. I made up a band, went with a very grunge feel, and ran with it. The concert date is made up, the band name is completely fictional, I had nothing to go off of, other than the way the majority of stereotypes are set forth towards bands and their members. I managed to take a spin on what the traditional stereotypes are, and played with the very non-traditional way they are viewed as well. In the end, I have shown this piece to lots of friends and they felt like they were actually looking at a poster for a band that had a gig that they did not know about. This was very pleasing as to it was actually a poster design to a band that no one had never heard of because they do not exist!
Production Information: 3 Color, 13 X 19", Full Bleed

Cheers to an entire first part of the semester being over with. Off to New York City to hopefully improve upon my designing skills! Until next week!
NB

No comments:

Post a Comment